Ricciarelli!

After a wee baking slump at the end of August, these ricciarelli were the perfect quick and easy way to dedicate some time to my favourite hobby and get back into the swing of baking! It's only now that I'm finding time to sit down and write a quick post about them!


Ricciarelli; a chewy Italian
biscuit!

Biscuits are certainly an area in baking that I neglect. There's no real reason for this, but like I mentioned in my Indian Potato Raised Pie post I tend to be emphasising cupcakes and similar bakes at the minute. I first came across these biscuits in the Bake Off: Love to Bake book whilst at university, and since they require few ingredients and no special equipment (a bowl, a whisk and a wooden spoon is all that's required!) they were an ideal bake for a cash-strapped uni student with only a couple of baking tins to hand. 

The ricciarelli I produced at university were just as good as this batch, even with the faulty oven in our third year house (it took us around 6 hours to cook our house Christmas dinner that year because of it!). A few adjustments to the baking time were easy to make once I got to know the oven. Back at home, I could follow the times the recipe called for and make similar adjustments for my more familiar oven.

I found this little bucket in a charity shop, 
and thought a batch of biscuits would 
look cute in it!

These biscuits have an amazing almond and lemon flavour, and are so simple to make! Egg whites, lemon juice and salt are whisked together until they form soft peaks, before icing sugar, lemon zest, and ground almonds are folded in. The resulting dough is then divided into equal balls, coated in icing sugar, and flattened using two fingers on a baking tray. They are then left uncovered at room temperature for an hour to dry out a little before baking, resulting in a slightly chewy texture! 

Dedicating some time to these biscuits helped massively with my baking slump, and I'm excited to share some of the more autumnal bakes I've got planned as the season progresses! 

Gibby x








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!