Saag Paneer Spanakopita!

Coming from Nadiya Hussain's book "Nadiya Bakes", this spanakopita recipe puts a Bangladeshi twist on this Greek spinach pie. I was intrigued when I first read through this recipe, but hearing this kind of bake literally being called a "spinach pie" put me right off. I know spinach is really good for you, and I often add it to curries and other meals for that extra Vitamin C and Iron hit, but only as an extra. I've never made something where the spinach has featured so heavily as the main event before (750 grams in this pie!).

What a cross section!

However, I'm a big fan of both paneer and ricotta cheese, which also feature in this recipe. I convinced myself to give this pie a go after all. If nothing else, this would be another good opportunity to work with filo pastry!

And I'm so glad I did! Both the flavours and textures of this pie are heavenly, and I'd say that the filling is really easy to make! First, the spinach is covered in boiling water and allowed to wilt (honestly this part stank the kitchen out, but the smells coming from the fried spices made up for the spinach smell!), whilst cumin seeds and chilli flakes are fried in ghee until the seeds begin to pop. At this stage, the grated paneer is added, followed by the onion and plenty of garlic! The spinach follows, followed by the ricotta, coriander and chives once cool. Simple!

The paneer and wilted spinach 
provide a meaty texture to 
this pie!

The only difficulty you might encounter with this recipe is making and handling the filo pastry. I'll admit to using shop bought pastry this time, as the last time I tried to make my own filo pastry it was far from a success. Edible certainly, but far too thick. Even handling shop bought filo pastry can be tricky, you need to use damp tea towels and brush the sheets with oil or melted butter to prevent them from drying out and splitting. 

I may have gone overboard 
with the layers of pastry 
on top of the pie!

I really wish I could share the way the kitchen smelt whilst frying the spices for the filling, it was honestly unmatched! The only downside is I had no sesame seeds to toast and sprinkle on top of the pastry, but this is only a minor thing. I cannot recommend this recipe enough!

Gibby x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!