Wild Mushroom and Gorgonzola Tart!

Christmas Day is probably the only day of the year that the whole family sits down together for a full meal (unless we go out for tea of course!), making it a really special meal. Usually at Christmas we just have soup as a starter, however this year we decided that we'd switch it up a bit, and naturally I offered to whip us up a tasty first course! After trawling through my recipe books for some inspiration, I came across this Wild Mushroom and Gorgonzola Tart! Admittedly I'd never tried gorgonzola before, but I knew instantly that this was the tart for us! 

The tart in all its glory!

Disclaimer, not everyone at ours is a fan of mushrooms, so I did make a Butternut Squash and Goat's Cheese Tart, which happened to be gluten-free too, as a second option. Making two starters, a dessert, and biscuits to give as part of Christmas presents meant I was in the kitchen for a very long time on Christmas Eve, but I simply watched a couple of Christmas films, and old Gavin and Stacey and Doctor Who specials, and enjoyed every second!

Customary cross-section!

But back to the mushroom tart! To start with, I prepared a rich walnut pastry by rubbing butter into flour, adding finely chopped walnuts, and then adding an egg yolk and a little ice cold water. I then rolled the pastry out, lined my new baking tin, and blind baked the case to avoid a soggy bottom later! The recipe called for the use of a food processor to chop the walnuts and prepare the pastry, but seeing as I don't own one finely chopping the walnuts and preparing the pastry by hand worked fine!

All portioned up!

The filling was equally as simple to prepare as the pastry. To start the filling, I gently fried sliced red onions over a low heat with garlic and thyme for roughly half an hour until they had softened. At the same time, I used a mixture of boiling white wine and water to rehydrate some porcini mushrooms. I then added these mushrooms, along with chestnut and woodland mushrooms, and gently fried again until the mushrooms were beginning to soften!

The gorgonzola was surprisingly 
stringy!

To finish the filling, I added some single cream and beaten eggs into the filling, producing a creamy mixture to fill the pastry case with. After filling the case, I topped the tart with some chopped walnuts and gorgonzola! 

The finished tart had a wonderfully short pastry, whilst the filling was delightfully creamy. The flavours of the gorgonzola and porcini mushrooms complimented each other perfectly, and the tart turned out way better than I would have hoped for!

Is it bad that I've already started to think about next year's Christmas menu? 

Gibby x






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!