Vegan and Gluten Free Viennese Whirls!

Tell you what, I've wanted to have a go at a batch of Viennese Whirls for so long now, and lately if the chance to bake something vegan and/or gluten free comes up I seem to be embracing the challenge!


The lemon curd just peeping out!

These Viennese Whirls are flavoured with lemon zest, and are filled with a vegan vanilla-flavoured American buttercream and a homemade vegan lemon curd. I'm sure this isn't the first time I've made vegan lemon curd, but for the life of me I can't remember which bake I used it for... I know I've made vegan passionfruit curd to go in my vegan Strawberries and Coconut Cream Meringue Cake, so maybe that's what I'm thinking of?


Preparing the dough for the whirls is very easy. To start with, all you have to do is cream together vegan butter and icing sugar, before adding gluten free flour, xanthan gum, corn flour, and lemon zest. This method is so easy it almost feels criminal! The resulting dough, which is very similar to shortbread, is then piped in a swirl onto a baking sheet, chilled, and baked! Chilling the piped dough before baking helps the biscuits to hold their shape in the oven! 

For the lemon curd, lemon juice and zest are combined with soya milk, sugar, and corn flour in a bowl set over a pan of water. The curd is then heated until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon, before turmeric is added for color! When thickened, the bowl is removed from the heat and vegan butter is whisked in until fully incorporated. I would argue that a vegan curd is far easier than a curd containing eggs, and it cooks faster!

To assemble the whirls, a swirl of the buttercream is piped onto half of the biscuits, and the lemon curd is spread onto the other half. The biscuits are then sandwiched together. I love the way the buttercream swirl matches the swirling pattern of the biscuits!

Not to sound arrogant, but I'm insanely proud of the way these Viennese Whirls turned out! I'd almost go as far as to say they're perfect, if it wasn't for the fact that the lemon curd looks a little radioactive! Seeing as vegan lemon curd doesn't contain any eggs, the curd doesn't take on the colour of the egg yolks. To make up for this, turmeric is commonly added to give the vegan lemon curd its colour. I did tip the jar just a little bit too much, and quite a lot of turmeric went into the bowl! The resulting curd, whilst not tasting any different, ended up being very very yellow!

It's safe to say that these whirls didn't last two minutes in my house. I was supposed to take them to work for my new colleagues to sample, but they didn't make it that far!

Gibby x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!