Vegan Miso Mushroom Quiche!

Recently I've been obsessing over the recipes on the Bunch vegan blog, so when I came across this recipe for a Vegan Miso Mushroom Quiche I knew I had to give it a try!

In the spirit of total honesty though, this quiche just isn't for me. I have a very love/hate relationship with miso (I absolutely love the flavour of it in Bunch's recipe for Miso Mushroom Pasta, but for this quiche it was a miss for me). If you're a miso lover though then I guarantee this quiche is for you!



The first step was to make the pastry. The recipe calls for the use of shop bought filo pastry, but I really wanted to have a go at making my own vegan shortcrust pastry! This was so easy! By simply rubbing vegan butter into flour and salt, adding water, and then rolling the pastry out to line a tart tin, you end up with the perfect vegan shortcrust pastry case for this recipe!


With this recipe being vegan friendly, I was intrigued as to how you would make a quiche filling with no eggs, cream or milk, and to be honest I was skeptical about being able to recreate that quiche texture. It was however surprisingly simple. You just have to combine tofu, plant milk and the liquid from rehydrated mushrooms in a blender until smooth, before adding mushrooms (I used rehydrated porcini, chestnut and button mushrooms) stir-fried in soy sauce and folding through. This filling is then spooned into the blind baked case, and baked until the filling is set and beginning to brown!


To make the wafu style drizzle, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, mirin, and soy sauce are combined with chopped chillies and spring onions! I'll admit to having had no idea what wafu was until I made this sauce. Turns out it's a Japanese-style vinaigrette! 

Considering I wasn't a massive fan of the flavour, I'm still very happy with the way the quiche turned out! I definitely need to do some more exploring to find my favourite vegan quiche!

Gibby x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!