Rhubarb Crumble Cupcakes!

And this is why I'm the best colleague! 

Just like with my Rhubarb, Pistachio and Rose Cake, these cupcakes came about due to an excess of rhubarb that needed using. Never one to waste food, I set about finding way to get creative with it! 

Rhubarb Crumble Cupcakes!

That's where these Rhubarb Crumble Cupcakes come in! I've seen variations of fruit crumble cupcakes around on social media lately, but if I'm being honest I don't know why I went with rhubarb crumble, considering I don't really like rhubarb! At least in the Rhubarb, Pistachio, and Rose Cake there were other flavours at play. I ended up loving these cupcakes though, so let's get cracking!

These cupcakes couldn't be more simple to prepare! To start with, butter and sugar are creamed together, before eggs, self raising flour, and cinnamon are added. Chopped rhubarb is then folded through, and the mixture is split between the cupcake cases. But hold your horses! Before baking, a crumble, made from flour, sugar and butter is sprinkled on top of the cupcakes, like so! 

The crumble topped cupcakes, baked!

With the cupcakes baked, it was time to prepare the vanilla and cinnamon buttercream, by beating together butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. With a smooth and quite frankly delicious buttercream piped onto the cakes, it looked like they were complete!

The iced cupcakes!

But wait, I realised I wasn't quite finished yet! I had a little extra rhubarb, and plenty of spare crumble, and with these cupcakes literally being "rhubarb crumble", I decided I could do better. I used the spare rhubarb to create a rhubarb compote and topped the buttercream with said compote. Finally, I baked the leftover crumble topping in the oven until golden, left it to cool, and topped the compote with the crumble! 

I didn't have much compote 
to go around!

I'll be honest, I didn't even know if these cupcakes would work. Now that I know they do, I'm tempted to have a second attempt at these cakes, with a crème patissiere filling to turn them in Rhubarb Crumble and Custard Cupcakes! But that's for another day!

Gibby x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!