Bake-a-long Week 3: Bread Week!

Before we get started with this one, let me just address the elephant in the room, Bread Week hasn't been kind to me. I tried to plait both of the loaves I attempted this week, but they just didn't want to behave. Plaiting is clearly a skill that I can't seem to nail down just yet, but I didn't want to shy away from a good learning experience by not writing about it and reflecting on it. With that in mind... let Bread Week begin! 

It's not looking good...

So, the Bake-a-long continues, and this week it was Bread Week! The bakers this week were challenged to make a Cottage Loaf signature, a Devonshire Split technical, and a plaited loaf centre piece showstopper, which meant I also had to choose one of these challenges to take on! Seeing as I've already taken on a Cake Week signature (see my Almond and Summer Berry Vertical Layer Cake!) and a Biscuit Week technical (see my Custard Creams!), I thought it was time for a showstopper! So, I hope you're sitting comfortably, as this is going to be a long one! 

For my showstopper, I decided to attempt a Nine Strand Saffron, Black Olive and Herbes de Provence Plaited Loaf to meet the showstopper brief... and I'll tell you something for free was it a lot of work! To start, saffron is baked in the oven for a few minutes to intensify the flavour, before it is left to soak in water for 6 hours. Meanwhile, a little butter is rubbed into strong white flour, before salt and yeast are mixed in. The saffron liquid is then added, along with a little honey, an egg, and milk. The resulting mixture then goes through the usual kneading, proofing, and knocking back process. 

The four doughs all proofing at 
once... I didn't have enough timers! 

Whilst the saffron dough is proofing, it's the perfect time to crack on with the second dough, which will provide both the middle and top layers for the loaf. Again, a little butter is rubbed into strong white flour, before salt, yeast, and chopped Herbes de Provence (a mixture of thyme, rosemary, bail and oregano) are mixed through. Then, an egg and water are added, before the dough is once again kneaded, but this time it is divided into two portions, one weighing 2/3 of total and one weighing 1/3. The smaller portion is left to proof in a bowl, whilst chopped black olives are added to the larger portion before also being left to proof. 

Once all the doughs were doubled in size, it was time to get started on the shaping... or at least to attempt to shape the loaf! The saffron dough was divided into four equal portions, with each portion being rolled out by hand into long strands. The four equally sized strands can then be plaited into a four strand loaf and placed onto a lined baking tray. 

This process is then repeated for the black olive dough, except it is divided into three strands rather than four. The plaited black olive dough is then placed on top of the saffron dough. Finally, the Herbes de Provence dough is rolled out into one one strand, and is twisted around itself to provide the final two strands. The loaf is then left to proof uncovered for half an hour before it is brushed with egg wash and hits the oven. 

Attempting to use bamboo skewers to 
secure all the layers in place...

Alongside all this, I decided to give a plaited brioche loaf a go too! Brioche might just be up there with my favourite breads, but to my shame I've never tried to make it until Bread Week... and it's surprisingly easy! To start, flour, salt and yeast are combined in a bowl, before 4 chilled eggs and a little chilled milk (totally 250ml) are added. The resulting dough is then kneaded by hand for ten minutes, before butter is gradually worked in. The dough is proofed in the fridge twice, once for two hours, then again for another hour after it has been knocked back. The dough is then divided into three strands, plaited, and proofed again in the loaf tin for another hour before baking. These three proofs are vital for the development of the taste and texture of the finished loaf!  

The different loaves slid all over...

As you can see. none of my plaits really held their shapes, and I really wish the shape was all that was wrong with these loaves... but it just gets worse. The saffron dough tasted metallic, which I've since learned is likely due to using imitation/cheap saffron (thanks Morrsisons), and the black olive dough was rather bland, though in fairness the taste and texture of the brioche was actually spot on despite it's appearance.

The plaits just went rogue!

But the texture was divine! 

So, as I said, a very mixed bag of results for Bread Week. But like I also said, I'm not about to shy away from a good learning curve, and posting about my not-so-successful bakes helps to boost my confidence in a weird way...

Next up, Chocolate Week!

Gibby x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!