Botanicals Week Revisited!

Now, I've already said that my Botanicals Week showstopper was a shocker, and I couldn't just move on from the week without trying to redeem myself! With that in mind, here's a little bit of bonus content! 

Enter then this Lemon and Thyme Ring Cake, inspired by the Botanicals Week technical challenge. I had to make a couple of alterations to the recipe though. I didn't have a proper bundt tin, which meant decorating the cake according to the recipe on the Bake Off website just wasn't going to happen. And as ever, my oven remains a thorn in my side, so I had to experiment with the temperature a little bit! 

Preparing the cake batter was very simple, by creaming together butter and sugar, then adding self raising flour, baking powder, eggs, lemon zest and juice, and fresh thyme. Once baked, the still warm is brushed with a lemon and thyme syrup to boost the flavour.

With the decoration problem I simply decided to go with a "flood" of lemon glace icing, topping the cake with homemade crystallised lemon and thyme! 

Have I recovered from my Botanicals Week disaster? No. But, I'd say this cake goes a long way towards my redemption! 

Gibby x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!