Scones!

Last weekend I found myself with a rare couple of hours without absolutely nothing to do. The run I had planned had been rained off and I was feeling too restless to sit and read the afternoon away. What better way to pass the time then than by going back to basics with these Scones!


Filled with homemade blueberry jam 
and clotted cream!

My dad mentioned the other day that the supermarket seemed to have stopped selling the scones he likes. After making a show of fake coughing and clearing my throat a few times (from which he didn't get the hint), I asked him if he would like me to bake some scones for him. A man of many words, his reply was simply "hmmm you can do if you like". You know I never miss an opportunity to squeeze a bit of baking into the day, and I quickly set about deciding on the fillings I would use!


Clotted cream was a given, however I couldn't decide between a jam of some kind or a lemon curd. I opted for blueberry jam, as it was something I'd never made before and felt like a nice change to the strawberry or raspberry jams I'd typically have with a scone.

The method for these scones was very simple. I just had to rub butter into flour with my fingertips, before stirring in sugar and adding a mixture of eggs and whole milk. I also added some sultanas as my dad prefers fruit scones to plane ones! For the jam, I simply had to combine blueberries and preserving sugar in a pan, mash the berries up, strain and then continue to cook until the resulting mixture thickened! Very simple, but very effective!


Lately I've been struggling to make time for writing about my bakes, and a short post about these scones was the perfect opportunity to get back into the flow of writing after the busy Christmas period. Winner winner!

Sometimes I worry that I rush into more complex bakes without attempting the simpler things first. I'm looking forward to attempting more "back to basic" bakes and classic recipes in the near future!

Gibby x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aperol Spritz Mini-Cakes!

My Blog's First Birthday - Birthday Disaster!

Botanicals Week Revisited!